Green Thumbs Up

After nearly a century, the Garden Club is still cultivating both plants and grants in Indian River County
Gardenclub Tannery 20200428 0392
The Garden Club of Indian River County is one of only two such clubs in Florida that owns its own clubhouse. The 17th Avenue headquarters was built in the late 1960s.

 

The Garden Club of Indian River County was formed in 1928 by a group of 25 women headed by Florence Fitch of New York City and Greenwich, Connecticut. Fitch and her husband, Winchester, were winter residents of Riomar, and she was a member of the Garden Club of America and an officer of the Greenwich Garden Club. She brought her knowledge and enthusiasm to Vero Beach, and, with a small group of like-minded women, set out to beautify the city. 

These early citizens were a “Who’s Who” of both seasonal and old pioneer families concentrated in Riomar and Winter Beach. The Garden Club has been in continuous operation since its founding, so its historical value alone is notable. The group’s first Flower Show took place in 1929, and the annual event not only continues today, but it is, in the words of club president Peggy Gahn, “a big deal.”

The Garden Club of Indian River County is part of District 10 of the Florida Federation of Garden Clubs (FFGC), which in turn is an affiliate of National Garden Clubs. Currently, 255 members are divided into nine “circles” for smaller activities than the club-wide events.

The circles, each named for a flower, give members the opportunity to choose a focus that best suits numerous individuals and groups.

Categories: Features, Home & Garden, Vero Beach Viewpoint